I love love love lasagna! We haven’t been able to find a spot I consider great since moving to Colorado so I decided to make my own! I used my cast iron skillet of course and couldn’t be happier with the results. Okay maybe a touch more sauce, cause I like it saucy, would have been my only change. Can’t wait for y’all to try it and let me know what you think! I used regular-boil lasagna noodles since I personally am not a fan of oven ready. This also cuts the time down to an already very time consuming recipe!
Cast Iron Skillet Lasagna
- 1 package Lasagna
- 1 lb Italian Sausage
- 1 jar Pasta Sauce I use Marinara
- 4 cloves Garlic
- To Taste Italian Seasoning
- To Taste Garlic Powder
- To Taste Pepper
- 1 Egg
- 15 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375
- Cook lasagna noodles as directed on package. I like mine al dente since they will cook a touch more while baking.
- Brown Italian Sausage about 8 minutes.
- Add: Garlic cloves, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper.
- Add sauce leaving a small portion in the jar for the first layer.
- While sautéing meat, sauce and spices, add egg and Ricotta cheese to a bowl mixing well.
- Also blend Mozzarella and Parmesan in a separate bowl.
- Remove meat sauce from skillet and put in a separate bowl.
- Now time to layer...First layer will be the reserved sauce from the jar.
- Add a layer of noodles, I used 4 noodles per layer.
- Add a layer of Ricotta cheese,
- Add a layer of Cheese blend,
- Add a layer of sauce then repeat..
- Noodles, Ricotta, Cheese blend and sauce.
- Top the last layer with Noodles, Sauce and Cheese blend.
- My lasagna was two layers tall (12 noodles) and the noodles spilled over the edge. I carefully cut the layers to height of my skillet.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- I like my cheese a bit toasted to I broiled on low for about 3 minutes.