Amazing & Easy Shortbread Cookies
I love the versatility of shortbread cookies! I love them even more dipped in chocolate! I took these one more step and added peppermint because my little one loves it! He had one of these cookies and did a happy dance singing these are the best cookies ever! He is four so any cookie is a great cookie, but it made me smile. Anyhow, you can dip these or leave them plain. You can sprinkle sugar or other fun toppings prior to baking too. These are also the perfect shortbread cookie Christmas recipe! I know Santa will love these cookies!
Simple Shortbread Cookies
Super easy and tasty shortbread cookies!
- 1 cup Butter softened
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 package Dark chocolate or chocolate of choice
- 2 tsp Shortening
- Place butter into a large bowl. Add sugar and flour and shape into a ball. I found using my hands worked best!
- Wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place your dough ball on a lightly floured surface and roll out with rolling pin. You will want your dough about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Place cookies on parchment paper to cool back to room temperature
- Place chocolate and shortening in a microwave safe bowl and melt. Stir with a wooden spoon and ensure all of the chocolate has melted. Let cool slightly.
- Dip cookies into chocolate sauce and lay on parchment paper to cool/set.
You can make your cookies thicker and sprinkle sugar on them prior to baking. I also went a step further and dipped the chocolate covered shortbread into peppermint pieces. DO not skip chilling your dough. It will help harden the butter and make it easier to roll.