Vintage Cookbook Desserts!
Found a vintage cookbook at my mama in laws and can’t wait to try some of these treasures!
Spicy Apple Twists
- 2 large Apples peeled & corked
- 1 can Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
- 1 tbsp Margarine melted
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Cut each apple into 8 pieces
- Unroll crescent roll dough into 8 triangles. Cut each in half lengthwise to make 16 strips.
- Place an apple piece at wide end of each strip and roll up.
- Arrange on a 9-inch square pan
- Drizzle with melted butter
- Make a mixture with sugar, cinnamon and cardamom. Sprinkle on top of crescents.
- Pour orange juice into pan but not over crescents.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve plain or with ice cream!
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2/3 cup Shortening
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 can Apricot Halves Drain and Reserve Syrup
- 3 Apples Peeled, cored and cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups Apricot Syrup plus water
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt
- Cut in shortening until the size of small peas
- Add milk and stir until dough forms a ball
- Roll out on floured surface to an 18x12-inch rectangle
- Cut into 6-inch squares
- Place 2 apricot halves on each square
- Top each with apple half cut side down
- Bring opposite corners to center and pinch together sealing edges
- Place in un-greased 13x9 inch pan
- Pour hot syrup over dumplings
- Bake at 375° for 50-55 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Spoon sauce over dumplings to glaze and serve with ice cream.
- Combine all ingredients in saucepan and bring to boil