Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
I have found the ultimate way to get my little one to eat meat! Surround it with a sauce or gravy, mix in some veggies and pasta and bam! Eats like a champ. I made this last night and his little belly was so full! I used my skillet again and the results were yummy! I use a deep cast-iron skillet by Lodge and it is perfect! It is pre-seasoned and ready for immediate use.
I love cooking with cast-iron. It is naturally non-stick, easy to clean, fortifies food with Iron and nearly indestructible!
Now if you have been following me knows I love quick and easy meals. I love this dish because you are basically putting all cooked ingredients together and baking for a short amount of time to get the flavors together and the cheese melted.
I may try different variations with this recipe such as adding bacon, trying different pasta types but for now if it ain’t broke!
Chicken No Pie Mac N Cheese
- 3 cups Diced Chicken Cooked
- 8 oz Macaroni Cooked as directed
- 1 bag Frozen Peas & Carrots Cooked, I use the Steam N Bag
- 1 Shallot
- 1 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Butter Round Crackers Crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 tbsps Butter
- 6 tbsps All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsps Thyme
- 2 tsps Parsley
- 1/2 tsps Black Pepper
- 2 tsps Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In your cast-iron skillet, melt butter. Add shallot and cook until iridescent.
- Add cooked peas and carrots and cook a minute or so.
- Sprinkle flour one tablespoon at a time onto veggies to coat.
- Slowly whisk chicken broth and milk and simmer while whisking constantly until thickened. Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese and heat until melted.
- Remove veggie mix from heat and season with thyme, parsley, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl mix chicken, pasta and pour veggie mixture over. Mix all ingredients well.
- Pour into your cast-iron skillet and top with remaining cheddar cheese and cracker crumbles.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until crackers start to get a little golden brown & cheese is melted.