Another perk of a blended family is more recipes handed down and this one is AMAZING! Hattie is my step-dad’s aunt and I would love to get hold of her cookbook one day. This caramel recipe is guaranteed to be your favorite as it is mine.
This makes great stocking stuffer candy too!
Aunt Hattie's Caramels
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 3/4 cups White Karo
- 2 cups Cream use 1/2 pint coffee cream & 1/2 pint whipping cream
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 1/2 tsp Real Vanilla
- Mix sugar, Karo, half of cream and butter in a medium saucepan
- Cook over medium heat. When mixture boils, stir in reso of cream. Do not let boiling to cease.
- Cook to semi firm ball stage. (texture you want Caramels to be when you eat them)
- Remove from heat and add vanilla
- Pour into 9x13 buttered pan
- Cool, Cut into cubes and wrap individual pieces in waxed paper.
photo credit lovelihood Flickr