Fall and apples go hand in hand and I love anything cooked with apples. All month I will post apple recipes that will be sure to make a happy table! Be sure to check out my events page on Facebook too and see where the local Apple Festivals are!
This is a vintage recipe from Mrs. Cecil Jordan.
Total Time 30 minutes
- 5 large Apples
- 1/2 cup Shortening
- 1 cup Flour
- Pinch Salt
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- dash Cinnamon
- dash Cloves
- dash Cardamom
- dot Butter
- 2 tbl Butter
- 2 cups Water
- Because this is a vintage recipe the author said to bake in a moderate oven. Not sure what that temperature is so I am going to say 350°.
- Pare, core and cut into small cubes 5 large apples.
- Make a pastry by mixing 1-4 cup shortening, 1 cup flour, pinch salt and enough cold water to hold dough together. Roll this dough very thin, leaving it in one large piece.
- Spread apples over this with 1-2 cup sugar and dash of cinnamon and cloves. Roll this into a long round roll, like a jelly roll. Slice off pieces about 2 1-2 inches thick and place in a deep buttered pan. Sprinkle over this 1-2 cup sugar and dot with butter.
- Place in moderate oven until pastry is brown, then pour over this a sauce made by cooking 1-2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoonful flour, 2 tablespoonfuls butter and 2 cups water. Put back in oven and cook slowly for 10 minutes.
Apple Brown Betty
Another fantastic vintage recipe!
Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
- 3 cups Dried Bread Crumbs
- 2 cups Sliced Tart Apples
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat over to 350°
- Peel, core and slice apples. Place slices in a bowl of cold water with a touch of lemon juice.
- Mix both sugars with some cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Grease a baking pan and cover with a cup of the breadcrumbs. Lay apple slices on top.
- Sprinkle the apple layer with sugar mixture and dot each apple with butter.
- Repeat layer of breadcrumbs, apples, sugar and butter.
- Pour water over apples and spread last cup of breadcrumbs on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes. Remove and let stand.