I can’t believe the time has passed as quickly as it has. One year already and it feels like we just brought him home! God has truly blessed us with the most amazing baby and I am so grateful to be his mama.
His birthday party was a huge success and I would like to share the details with you!
Since we are a huge outdoors family I went with a buffalo plaid and forest theme. Cupcakes were easiest and I found the most amazing recipe that you just have to try even if it isn’t for a party! I made cupcake wrappers with Photoshop and will include the tutorial & PDF. I also made the cupcake toppers with Photoshop and will include a PDF of those. Coops shirt applique was ordered from an Etsy shop and I am so thankful she could send express. I also ordered his table / highchair banner from an Etsy shop and it is so adorable I couldn’t be happier! Balloons and cupcake tower were from Party City. Okay here are all the details:
1 cup all-purpose flour (I use Hungarian high altitude flour)
1 cup sugar
6 tbsp Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa powder (Can use unsweetened)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup hot water
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
3 tbsp Hershey’s dark cocoa powder
5 cups powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
4-5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 300°F (148°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Combine the egg, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla in another medium sized bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add the water to the batter and mix until well combined. Batter will be thin.
- Fill the cupcake liners about half way and bake for 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove the cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter in a large mixer bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix until well combined.
- Add about half of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and mix until well combined.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and salt and mix until smooth.
- Add remaining heavy cream as needed to get the right consistency of frosting.
Applique: Etsy shop is OnceUponaDesign and she does amazing work!
I didn’t iron it on tight because I pulled off to put into his baby book.
Rag Tie Banner: Etsy shop is StuffSoSimple and again amazing!
Skip To My Lou is the site I found the tutorial and hands down the easiest instructions to follow ever! You will need Photoshop or you are welcome to print off the ones I made from the PDF link. STML_TDD_CupcakeWrapper
I simply cut and hot glued them together. I did make a mark on the inside part of the wrapper indicating where the perfect fit would be to my cupcake size.
I used the above instructions (wrappers) to create the toppers in Photoshop as well. I used Avery22807 Print to the Edge Round Labels template as my guide. If you search for templates in Photoshop you will find Avery22807. Here is the link for mine if you would like to use them. C-Cooper is included in the PDF. Cupcake Toppers
To cut them out in perfect circles I used a 2-inch circle lever punch. Huge time saver!!! I used Lollipop Sticks and my hot glue gun to attach the circles one in front and one in back. They turned out amazing! I did have some leftover and used them on the table for more decoration.
All in all it was a great party and I can’t wait to plan next years! If you want any designs other than what I have included feel free to message me and I will make you a PDF of your choosing. Thank you again for all the wonderful birthday wishes for my lil man!