So this is a recipe passed down from my Nana and I have attempted to add directions as best as possible. As you can imagine Southern mama’s tend to cook everything by taste and look so it can be a challenge to get exact measurements. I made this last year for the first time and it was wonderful though a little dry. You will want your mixture wet but not swimming prior to baking. You will want to bake this at 350° for about 30-45 minutes checking frequently.
Nana's Cornbread Dressing
- 2 cups Self Rising Cornmeal Not Plain Cornmeal
- 1 extra large Egg
- 2 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 3/4 cups Buttermilk or Regular Milk
- 3 slices Bread Crumbled
- Cornbread Crumbled
- 1 medium Onion
- 2 stalks Celery I don't use celery in mine but keeping the integrity of the recipe
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Poultry Seasoning May be a bit much but I am guessing
- Turkey Giblets Cooked
- 6 cups Chicken Stock Again guessing
- Preheat the oven to 400º
- Place cast iron skillet in preheated oven while making mixture.
- Mix cornmeal, egg, oil and milk in a medium bowl. Stir well.
- Pour into preheated skillet and transfer to oven.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden on top.
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- In frying pan: saute onion, celery and garlic powder until onions are translucent.
- Crumble all of the cornbread and bread slices into a large bowl. Add salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, onion, celery, giblets, & chicken stock. Stir until well-combined.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until top is browned.